The two reasons why most people find it hard to create their future is lack of clarity and lack of conviction.
Lack of clarity is really about whether you understand and know how to create a picture of where you want to be and why you are heading there. Its that feeling you get every year that you’re going nowhere or that surely there must be more to life than this. You know you lack clarity if you’ve stopped dreaming or making plans for a bigger life than you currently have. Many people who lack clarity think they have no control over their life.
Lack of conviction is what happens when you undermine yourself constantly and think that only lucky people can have an amazing life. You’ll know you suffer from a lack of conviction if you are always questioning your deservedness to have good things happen; if you question what value you really add to your work or your friends and family and if you have great ideas that never go anywhere because you don’t think anyone would listen. Lack of conviction can show up as lack of confidence.
Here’s the thing, neither lack of clarity nor conviction are fatal flaws of character. But they will stop you designing and having your own amazing life. With a bit of know-how, I guarantee that you can create the life you want.
Here’s a few ideas to get you started on creating a vision for your future:
- Stop thinking you need to know how to make it happen. ‘How’ is for another day, otherwise you may always feel your goals are out of reach. Take for example, Richard Branson he sets big goals like taking passengers to the moon well before he knows how he is going to do it.
- Understand your why – it will always overrule the how. Setting your intentions and understanding with clarity what you want to achieve allows for the how to unfold. The brain is an extraordinary tool that will help you get where you want to go – if you can
- Focus with the end in mind. You need to get very clear about the person you want to be, the things you want to be doing and having and you need to be able to create a picture of what success looks like.
- Tackle your lack of conviction. This is a bit harder. This is about getting outside of your self-talk and about believing you are in control of your life and how it plays out. Being intentional means being clear about what you want out of life and not assuming life is what happens to you.
- Align your actions in life accordingly. Once you have clarity and intention then it will be easier to set a roadmap.